Alexander McQueen was discovered by Isabella Blow, without her, his path to becoming a British treasure through his creative fashion designs, may not have happened. Chanel, Dior, YSL, DVF, Vivienne Westwood, the list can go on and on – they all have one thing in common, they all had to start from the beginning.
For those today seeking a new venture, that is the starting point; the beginning is about waiting for someone to give you a first order or perhaps a connection with someone or something that can just get you off the mark.
And so you see when I read this article “Meet Fashion’s Fairy Godmother” from Sunday’s YOU magazine, I was really inspired by the work of Debra Hepburn and her husband Julian. Both successful professionals who have set up an online business youngbritishdesigners.com – and it basically does what it says on the tin!
Debra and Julian have invested in young British designers, buying their entire first collections and selling them online. How fantastic is that?! And so it got me thinking as to why YOU the consumer should consider buying into this concept, because it’s not as cheap as the High Street and these designers do not have a name for themselves, yet.
Here’s what I came up with…
- Your buying into British design – need I say more?!
- Bored of the High Street and can’t afford Designer – this is the half-way house
- And with that, the concern of bumping into someone wearing the same as you – is unlikely to happen!
- It’s like a piece of art – your buying into the artist in their infancy and one day, possibly, your investment could be worth more, e.g. vintage Chanel, Dior, YSL and so on!
- A lot of big brands nowadays are not investing in young designers, they are investing in celebrities – in fact quite a few are now not even selecting talent but those celebrities with high Social Media followers – so with this, it makes things harder for young talented designers
Purchasing for the first time, I would personally opt for an accessory – it’s an opportunity to experience their online buying process without the hassle of thinking “will it fit”. An accessory is always an investment and something you can style with numerous outfits and so making your investment stretch.
I’ve had a really good look around the site and seen some great pieces, here are a few that I am loving!
This bell sleeved sweater by Charlie May is quite frankly fabulous! Grey in colour and a mix of 50% Merino wool and 50% Cotton it looks so easy to wear and whilst deigned here in England it’s made in Italy, that’s sounds so glam.
I really hope my niece Ellie doesn’t see this next one, she loves Pandas and she loves shopping – therefore making this Heart Eyed Panda Tote a must have! A collaboration between illustrator Will Broome and designer Kate Sheridan. I simply love it!
When it came to the dresses, it was hard to pick just one! I would say there is something for everyone, and a great place to start if your looking for something unique to wear to a wedding.
And so you see, I think there is something for everyone and who know’s if you look after it, it may be worth more in years to come. And so to buy British design, simply try youngbritishdesigners.com