I’m excited that Mel’s back on the blog and she joins me on STYLE MATTERS – A stylist who has a serious mantra of re-wear and restyle, Mel was the perfect person to tell you how she views sustainable fashion and what she does to manage her daily wardrobe.
We hope you enjoy the interview.
Love Lizzi x
HOW DO YOU DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL STYLE?
Ooh, that’s a tough one, but deep down I’m a rock-chick with maybe a bit of grunge and grandma thrown in.
WHY DOES STYLE MATTER TO YOU?
Style makes me feel happy and ready for the world. If I’m wearing something that doesn’t feel or look right, I feel less confident as a result.
HAVE YOU ALWAYS BEEN INTERESTED IN STYLE?
Yes, ALWAYS! I didn’t have a lot clothes as a kid, but I gradually built up my wardrobe from the moment I got a job at 16.
WHAT WOULD BE YOUR SIGNATURE STYLE LOOK?
I think my signature style differs depending on the season. But I find that I can really be myself during the colder months when I can channel a relaxed, rock-chick vibe. I’m very comfortable in boots, jeans (my snakeskin print ones are my faves) a big jumper and lived-in hair – and I love dressing down a flowy skirt to give it an edge. Basically, I don’t like to look too ‘done’ or contrived.
WHAT’S YOUR VIEW ON FASHION VS. STYLE?
I think they go hand in hand – as proven by the hundreds of women I see online and in real life who brilliantly mix new trends and colours with their existing pieces.
WHAT TIPS DO YOU HAVE ON FASHION OR STYLING
- Be mindful of repeat buying, for e.g. I’m drawn to grey jumpers (love ‘em) and have to remind myself every time I see one that I don’t need another one – two is enough!
- Before you buy something, consider what you’ll wear it with and when. If the answers to both those questions are hard to find, you probably shouldn’t buy it.
- Lastly, make time for styling what‘s already in your wardrobe rather than defaulting to shopping.
HAS THE EXPOSURE OF FAST FASHION CHANGED HOW YOU SHOP?
Yes and no. I’m now a very slow and mindful shopper. I shop for the gaps I’ve identified in my wardrobe, not for the thrill of a new purchase and will always look on the ReFashion website first before buying new. If I’m not shopping for gaps in my wardrobe, I ensure that any new addition will be a functioning ‘cog’ in my wardrobe.
However, I may still buy from brands that don’t always have great sustainable credentials. This is because these brands produce styles that I love and are at a price point I can afford. Yes, I’m buying fast fashion, but I will wear and look after these pieces for years and years to come – so as you can imagine, this causes me some inner turmoil.
*Note to self – the brand Nobody’s Child do affordable, sustainable fashion.
WHAT HAVE YOU IMPLEMENTED INTO YOUR OWN WARDROBE MANAGEMENT TO HELP CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS SUSTAINABLE FASHION?
I regularly audit my own wardrobe and give away pieces to friends or charity shops. I’ve dyed some items too in the hope it will give them a new lease of life – though this hasn’t always been successful, ahem!
I’ll also spend time rummaging through my wardrobe and re-creating outfits that I’ve seen in magazines, on Instagram or passers-by which is very rewarding.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE STORES TO SHOP (BRICKS OR CLICKS)?
WHAT DO YOU OWN THAT YOU WILL NEVER EVER GIVE AWAY?
To name but a few…
- Black fine knit jumper from @H&M – I’ve had it for years, it still looks great and it’s the main ingredient to many outfits.
- Black culottes from @New Look – again, I’ve had them for years, they look great and are so easy to throw on and look smart for work.
- Leopard print pleated skirt from @Chloejames – THE most versatile skirt I’ve ever owned, I wear it LOADS.
- Snakeskin print jeans from @riverisland – I have pretty much lived in them since I bought them in October and I want to be wearing them for the next 10 years!
- Green Snakeskin print ‘buffet’ dress from @Chloejames – this is my go-to when I want to look like I’ve made an effort but not look too ‘done’. It’s a dress that still makes my tummy flip with excitement every time I see it.
You can follow Mel on Instagram at @styledbymel1
The post STYLE MATTERS – BY MEL WALL @STYLEDBYME1 was on Loved by Lizzi first.