Your probably thinking what? Medjool dates??!
Well we all go through fads and currently mine is Medjool dates. I’ve always been a fan of the standard ones; but these are bigger, sweeter and you only need to eat one or two at a time as they are quite filling.
The downside is they are a tad more expensive, but I think they are worth it (Very L’Oreal!!). I’ve tested various brands over the last couple of months and my go to ones are the Tesco Organic; you’ll find them in the fresh fruit section where they put all the nuts, health snacks etc. These are the most juicy and have a great sweet taste. One packet can make about 4-5 smoothies or 2-3 smoothies and a couple of snacks.
Why did I fall in love with them? Ella Woodward that’s why! I got her book last year as I wanted some new smoothie recipes and now I’m hooked!
If you love banana milkshake then you are going to love this!
Just a pre-note as I’m aware not everyone loves cinnamon, but if you’re not keen on cinnamon, still give it a go as it’s not overpowering in taste and I’ve tried it without (when I’ve run out) and I now believe it is a must have ingredient for this recipe to work.
- 300ml cold almond milk (I have used coconut milk when I’ve run out of almond, it’s ok but makes it much sweeter)
- 2-3 Medjool dates (I use 2 but Ella suggests 3 – it depends on how sweet you want it
- A large ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- I use 1 desert spoon of Almond smooth butter, Ella suggests more (NB: this is an expensive ingredient, so if you see it on offer stock up, you’ll be amazed at how quickly you’ll get through a jar)
- If it’s for breakfast; I highly recommend adding a desert spoon of gluten free porridge oats to make it extra filling
- Blend together – I use a Nutrabullet
- And then decant into a large glass and serve straight away
This is a great snack to have on its own or sometimes I have it on the side with a light smoothie for lunch. I know two dates doesn’t sound a lot but I promise you it’s plenty; cut them in halve, remove the stone and then spread across some Almond smooth butter – and oh my god…. delish!
IMPORTANT: Both recipes contain nuts
If you love both of these, then why not check out Ella’s book…