Today’s post comes from guest blogger, Catherine Bruce from Style & Coach
Hundreds of coats are out there in the shops right now and due to a late winter, you should be able to bag a bargain, even after the manic ‘Black Weekend’ buying spree. There are styles, prices and fabrics to suit every shape, age and budget but before grabbing a bargain, answer a few questions:
- Is it really a ‘bargain’ if the style and colour don’t suit you? It could end up being moth fodder if you don’t feel really good in it. Make sure you know the colours and styles that flatter you before you buy.
- Is it an investment piece? If you’re thinking of spending in excess of £150, you don’t want a catwalk style that will quickly lose its shelf–life. Go for a classic number like the Reiss Sharply tailored coat shown below.
- When will you wear the coat? For a public transport commute, you need warmth with good arm and leg coverage (but not so long you might trip up the stairs in it) in a practical colour that won’t live at the dry cleaners. If you fancy a light colour, factor in the cost of frequent dry cleaning.
- Do you need it for getting in and out of the car? If so, consider a shorter length.
- Do you want it for every day wear with jeans for walking the dog/ outdoor life and/or watching the kids from the sidelines of the football pitch? Grab a warm quilted and hooded knee length or longer number, with a belt for added wind protection.
- Is it formal/ occasional wear you’re after? Go for something that packs a punch and makes you look fab on those glam nights out. A bit of cashmere or fake fur will up the stakes.
- Are you building a ‘Capsule Wardrobe’ ? Go for an everyday quilted coat, a formal coat and a quality tailored jacket for essential outdoor wear items.
My pick for this season:
Reiss Emile Sharply Tailored Coat in Blue Passion
Also available in Lilac and Burgundy
Jigsaw Boucle Knit Coat in Grey
Mango Funnel Neck Coat and Bargain of the month 40% off at John Lewis- now £34.99 until 17th December 2014.
|Mango at John Lewis|
To find out more about Catherine Bruce who is a Style and Image Consultant and Life Coach. You can visit her website www.styleandcoach.co.uk